Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fried rice

Have you ever made fried rice?
I tried, oh about 10 or so years ago. From scratch that is. It was so not good. Salty, bad texture, bad everything. Not edible at all. I tried the fried rice season packet. Still not good.
My sister's mother in law makes the best fried rice. Of course she does, she's Chinese. :-)
So, I ask for the recipe and my answer to that was, "there is no recipe I follow. I just add stuff". Well to my untrained brain for just "throwing " stuff together and having it come out delicious, that did not work for me. So I settled on the fact that I would never be able to make fried rice at home. Anything anyone would want to eat, anyway.
But then, cruising around on the web recently, I saw a recipe for fried rice that claims is the same that the restaurant Benihana makes. Oh man, how can you go wrong?
So, I set out to get all the ingredients, come home and make it, and it was devine! I saw a few comments on the web that mentioned adding sesame oil also, so I did, and I don't know if that is what made the flavor, or what, but it was so good. I had to make a second batch because one was not enough.
It really was simple to make. Maybe I just needed a few years of cooking under my belt first. ;-)
Here is what I used, and I didn't follow a recipe to a "T", but I don't think you have to with fried rice.
2 cups white rice(precooked); cooked and day old (cold works well)
3-4 Tbs butter
1-2 Tbs sesame oil
1 large garlic clove minced
2 green onions chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 cup chopped broccoli
4 eggs
1/2 cup soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

In a large wok, over medium-high heat melt 3Tbs butter and add oil. Add garlic, saute for just a minute, add veggies and saute till crisp tender. Season with S&P
Add rice and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Can add another Tbs of butter if you would like to here.
Add soy sauce and mix till all is coated
Make a well in the center and add eggs.
Mix till all the eggs are well cooked, can add a little more S&P if desired.
Enjoy!



I'd love to hear your version of fried rice, or what you add that makes it superb in your book.
Enjoy your day,
-D

No comments:

Post a Comment